Five go to Kenya

Monday, September 11, 2006

Choosing a church

I’ve noticed that I should be replying to comments that you all leave, and will try to do so in the future.

Anyway, one of the most troublesome things here has been choosing a church: probably because there are so many good churches out here. I really enjoyed the first one I went to, but after the second visit both Carys and Benjie said they didn’t want to go to Sunday school any more. As Carys said (more or less) “It’s just talking”. Also the crèche was not one where you could leave a child, but Rhiannon sat in a big glass box with an audio feed so she could listen along with the other women there. So we went to other churches… and found exactly the same issues with the Sunday school, and Carys and Benjie got less and less willing to go: last week they didn’t even stay the whole time and we went home early.

Well, yesterday we went to the local Vineyard, which I hadn’t wanted to try early on as it is mainly white rather than African (about 60%). But we collected 3 happy children after Sunday school, and were able to leave Zebedee in creche. We also met some people, so I imagine we’ll be going back. As far as the service goes, I preferred 2 of the 3 other churches we’ve been to, but finding somewhere where the kids can be happy is really important. And it meets in Carys’ school (in Karen, where we live) so isn’t too far away (“only” about 5 miles, or just over 10 minutes away). Karen is built on an American/ South African scale, so we have to drive everywhere – and no that isn’t an excuse to not walk! The campus we live on is about ½ a mile from one end to the other so we do get to walk a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home